Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ripples of Memories (with link to Ripple Afghan Pattern)


I have been crocheting and crocheting and crocheting some more. I was completely and mindlessly addicted to making this easy ripple blanket. You can see my sweet Boston Terrier Opus posing on the ripples. I have only made one other blanket in my crochet history, a pretty flowered granny afghan for my moms birthday two years ago. I can usually be found working on projects that can be completed in one or two sittings, its a patience thing. :-SS
I had such a great time making this because my daughter M'Kayla was right along side me knitting a baby blanket for her friend. We would take any empty time slot, throw a movie in and "yarn" away. Such good memories all stitched together. I had originally planned to give this blanket away. I wasn't sure to whom, but I usually don't hang on to the things that I make. But as I thought about it, I came to the realization that M'Kayla being 18, will not have so much time in the future to knit and crochet with her mama.
I think that this will be a mothers day present to myself. A weaving of memories.
I used up so much of my yarn stash, which is what I had intended to do. Some of the yarn was probably 7 years old and left over from projects that I had made for my family. Again, so many memories and woven together. We watched some great movies including Penelope, Twilight, Blast From The Past, Lord of the RIngs, Becoming Jane, Emma, Love Comes Softly, I Am Legend, I Robot, Hancock, Transformers, Kate and Leopold and more that I can't remember right now.
I used this great simple pattern here if anyone wants to give it a go. Its easy, mindless, and great relaxation :)

6 comments:

Deetsa said...

I suck at knitting. I always wondered if I'd be good a crocheting.

I love the picture of your dog on the afghan. Dogs really have a thing for afghans. I've yet to meet a dog that would avoid sleeping on one. Does Opus prefer afghan sleeps to non-afghan sleeps? :)

Darlene said...

Yes! Dogs and cats LOVE anything crocheted! I can barely lay it out to look at it without my pug, my boston, my brothers boston and my cat hopping up on it!
Crochet is so much fun. I do like to knit, but crochet is so easy for me, knitting is a bit harder. For my daughter its the opposite, crochet always came hard and she was easy sailing once she found knitting!

And Opus prefers sleep in general :) Blankets optional, but he prefers sleeping under the down comforter!

A Joyful Chaos said...

That is so lovely! I have never been successful at learning how to crochet.

Sarah said...

Wow! The ripple pattern looks awesome! I love Opus... I grew up with a Boston Terrier and she was my best friend. I am trying to learn how to crochet, but I am having trouble doing more than a chain. I don't have anyone to teach me, so I have been watching how-to videos on YouTube!

Maggi said...

Found you through the Sugar Pie Sistas! :) What a fabulous blanket and such great memories! You watched a great variety of movies there, some my personal faves! lol Netflix on the Xbox 360 is my addiction! lol

Darlene said...

Thank you Joyful Chaos for the compliment. My daughter never took to crochet either, but picked up knitting needles and went to town!

Sarah, arent the bostons wonderful? He is my little sweetheart. I taught myself to crochet as well, I know you can do it! Aren't the video's great? It makes things so much easier to learn!


Maggi, I love your blog! I've added it to my follow list. Your such a fun amazing person! I LOVE that you met your husband via the 360!!
Thanks for stopping by!